Friday, April 19, 2013

You're Feeling those Soup Cans Now, Aren't Ya?

I want to start off this blog post saying how extremely proud of our nation I am. My heart has been breaking all week due to the Boston Marathon Bombing and to watch live on television the perpetrator be caught made my evening.

So after work (I got off at 2:30...YAY!) the weather was a bit icky raining off and on with lots of wind. I decided to hang out and relax (while watching the live news coverage in Boston) until about 5:30. Laura and I had planned to get together and workout, but around 5, we both weren't feeling it. I chose the excuse of the weather, and she was just ready to say "the heck with it" just cause. I told her to not worry about coming over and that I would do some things on my own. (Ten minutes later, I still was on my couch). I haven't taken more than one day off at a time since I started so I was a bit scared. Then around 6:30 Laura message me on Facebook asking  if I was sure. She kept me accountable on the one day in the past 13 days that I've felt like I could just put it off. 

15 minutes later she was at my house, showing me how to do pushups on my counter tops, we went outside in a light sprinkle of rain (surprisingly it made it a perfect workout) we did squats, MULTIPLE sets of lunges across my lawn, and different kettle bell routines. 

Because I only have a 20 lbs kettle bell, doing curls was a bit of a challenge. Then Laura asked if I had any canned soup or vegetables. After questioning her sanity and grabbing them, my arms were on FIRE! Today I learned that it doesn't matter how heavy your weights are, it's the method, clarity of the movements, constant reps, and perfect form that builds and works those muscles! 

I know Laura saw the pain in my face because as you can tell by my unique title of the blog, the words "you're feeling those soup cans now, aren't ya?" came out of her mouth and I honestly can say I haven't laughed that hard in a really long time. 

The best part about our workouts is we laugh. She makes sure I have proper form and do ALL of my reps, but we also have fun with it. After a good 30-45 minutes in the yard doing targeted workouts, we went for cool down walk by the golf course down the road from my house! We walked and walked and walked and walked and talked. 

Having someone with the same goals makes it so much easier. Yes, I'm putting in the work, but knowing I have someone allows me to lean if I need. Tonight, I needed that lift and reminder to not give up, even when I've had a rough week. So, Laura, you ROCK! 

I finished my turkey burger with lettuce and tomato (NO BUN)  and now I'm working on my protein powder shake so my muscles won't be SUPER SORE tomorrow. :)

Tomorrow, I will be posting my numbers...yes....my weight...where I started 2 weeks ago and where I'm at currently. I'm preparing myself mentally...but I know this is part of the process.  

4 comments:

  1. I must say I really enjoyed reading your blog tonight, it made me smile thinking about our workout and all the laughs we shared! Can't wait to get after it again tomorrow!

    "Feel The Burn! and one and two, your doing great ladies" {;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! I totally spaced out your richard simmons workout style!! so funny! :) can't wait to see what wise words you have tomorrow in his workout voice! "you aren't fat ladies, keep it moving!!!!! think skinny!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget to take a day off here and there to give your muscles a chance to rest. Good for you for not letting the weather slow you down though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh definitely! Typically if I work a new muscle group I take a day off and let them rest, but I try to always walk...every night. :)

    ReplyDelete