Friday, August 2, 2013

All About The Gym





If you’ve been following my blog or you have me on Facebook, you know that I haven’t been to a gym (except for the week I was home in Washington).  I have hiked outdoors, and done home circuits and workout videos at my house or in my front yard.

This week I saw a girl ask on a community group on Facebook for someone her age to become workout buddies. She mentioned she went to Gold’s Gym in town because of the daycare (she has a 7 month old baby girl). I messaged her some information about my journey, what I’m hoping to accomplish and a little about myself. I was surprised by her enthusiasm to meet and start working out. We are around the same weight and endurance so I was excited to look forward to pushing one another.

Yesterday, we agreed to meet at the gym. I was so nervous. Not only was I nervous to meet someone new and workout with her, I knew that I hadn’t been in a real, HUGE gym in a long time. I waited for her to show up and was immediately intimidated. I got to the gym at around 5:30ish and it was PACKED! There were guys who looked like they were prepping for body building competitions and girls squatting and lifting double their body weight in iron. My nervous tick makes me avoid eye contact and I quietly waited for my new workout buddy. When she arrived, we went and set up my 7 day free membership pass and the staff member explained all that the gym has to offer.

Once we got everything put away in the locker room, I knew that what we were about to do was something I’ve grown to LOVE! I love working out. I may not have had a lot of equipment to use the past 4 months, but I know what my body can do now that it couldn’t back then.

We agreed we would do 60 minutes on the arc trainer and then either do some arm machines or attempt the stair master. Once we got going on the machines, it was like all the nerves went away. We realized we have common interests and have the same goals in mind when it comes to fitness and health. Gold’s Gym wasn’t like other gyms I’ve been to where everyone tries to sneak peeks at what you’re doing. It didn't feel like the groups of girls were talking about you or passing glances. Everyone is there to do one thing: IMPROVE THEMSELVES.

After our 60 minutes on the arc trainer & 15 minutes on the stair master we decided to walk around the rest of the gym so I could know where everything else was. THERE IS FREE TANNING! Yes, with your membership you can tan all you want without paying extra! I was excited about that aspect!  It got better…believe it or not. There is a protein shake bar! Yes, I can get protein shakes with my favorite protein powder! Metabolic Drive! I was ecstatic!

There is a huge lesson I learned through my exciting experience at the gym:

DO NOT LISTEN TO OTHER PEOPLE TELL YOU CERTAIN GYMS ARE HORRIBLE! 

My down fall was listening to people tell me that this gym or that gym was dirty, or stuck up people went to it, or they judged fat people. What I should have done was experienced it myself! By holding out from the gym, who knows what else I could have accomplished? Don’t get me wrong, I’m so proud of my progress and that I know I can workout at home I necessary, but I really have missed the gym. When I was 250 lbs I definitely didn’t love the gym as much as I do now, but I think that comes with the increased confidence and knowledge about what my body needs in a workout. 

If I can give you a few hints and tips about looking for a gym they would be:
  • Get a free pass or week pass to every gym in town and try them out. (You may have up to a month free of gym use depending on where you live).
  • Try the gyms out even if you think they are too expensive.
  • Always ask what “extra” comes with the membership.
  • Get a list of classes that the gym offers! 
    • Try some classes out with your free membership pass.
  • Pay close attention to the gyms with no contracts—to me that’s a huge deal.
  • Watch when others finish using equipment, do they clean the machines off immediately?
  • Are people more focused on what they are doing than what you are doing? You’re more likely not to feel self-conscious if you know people aren’t watching you.
  • If you’re feeling brave and want to try a new machine and you see someone else using it, ask for help before you use it. Most people are willing to give you a hand to prevent injury and to teach you something new. You can build acquaintances at the gym this way.
  • Do you feel more relaxed at the gym than at home or at work? Does it feel like a place you can escape to if you need it?
  • Hours. I want a place with 24/7 access because I have random spurts of energy and want to be able to hop in the car and drive there any time.
  • Take into consideration how far away it is from home. If you’re on a budget like I am gas can take up a bit of your monthly spending money. (Gold’s Gym is a ways out of the way for me, but with all the “Extras” it might possibly be worth it).
  • If the gym you love is a bit farther away than you hope, is there a bus route that you can take occasionally to save gas money?
  • Does it have a locker room & large shower access in case you go to the gym on your lunch and need to clean up before you head back to work.
  • Do you have at least one friend that goes to the gym that you can count on to workout with when you feel the need to work out and catch up?

I hope these ideas get you to thinking about what to consider when you look into getting a gym membership. Remember, $20.00-35.00 a month to invest in yourself; mentally and physically is a great bargain.

I’m excited to continue sharing my gym experiences with you. I of course will do home workouts on occasion, I’m sure and will always post what I do.

I can’t wait to update everyone on my NO SCALE JULY progress after I weigh in tomorrow.

Stay Strong & Keep Fighting!

No comments:

Post a Comment