Monday, August 5, 2013

Giving Up Isn't an Option

Play this song while you read! :) 

 I survived my first group workout class at the gym. I was petrified. I didn't know what to expect. I was worried I would feel less than others in the class or not know what to do. I can honestly say I probably wouldn't have done it without my workout buddy, Raycee with me. The class was called "TNT" Trim & Tone. The description included weights, body bars, resistant bands. We were prepared to really focus on toning up. Because it was the first class of the month...we were "lucky enough" to get a cardio session with those weights!

Within the first 15 minutes I was sweating! I found myself excelling in certain moves and circuits and then struggling with others. I took notice of those ones I felt I was struggling to get through. I know I gave it my all and I didn't stop. 45 minutes straight (with of course the short water breaks). It was challenging, but worth every second of. 

At the end of the workout, we did a yoga cool down for a few minutes. As I was laying down and stretching with the music I had the thought "Look at you...in a group class. You just finished 45 minutes of an intense circuit". I have done circuits before, but at my own pace in my own house. I never stood in front of people and let all reservations down and allowed myself to leave my heart on the floor. That's exactly what I did. I let out my Monday frustrations on the floor. I thought about where I was 4 months ago, attempting to hike up a hill behind my house. I couldn't do 30 jumping jacks straight without feeling like I was going to collapse. Today I did 30 jumping jacks in 5 different sets.  I call that progress!


I want to get across one point tonight: IT GETS EASIER! Obviously, my face is the face of pain and sweat, but today was easier than 4 months ago. In another 4 months, it will be easier. Just because it does get easier doesn't mean I will allow myself to give up or become "too comfortable". I will continue to find things to push me.

So many people ask where I get my motivation and drive. I still have a hard time answering that question. 4 months ago I said out loud that I didn't have self control or discipline. Look at me now. I decided to change. . . not for a man, my mother, family, work, or friends. I changed because I knew it was what my soul and life needed in order reach other dreams and goals. This is one small step in the right direction. By getting healthy I'm gaining confidence, power, and reassurance about the woman I am and can be in the future. 

I encourage each of you to make a list. I started with 3 "things" I wanted to achieve. I didn't put a timeline on them, but I wanted to focus on events or things I wanted to accomplish but knew that the only way I could do it was if I chose a healthier lifestyle. 

1. Get my PCOS symptoms under control. 
2. Run...not walk for cancer research. 
3. Be a mom. . . someday. 

Make your list. Then I challenge you to make three small changes in your every day life that can aid in you accomplishing those goals. 

1. Cut out processed foods.
2. Workout 3-5 times a week. 
3. Drink more than 8 glasses of water a day.

 In a matter of months, you will see results and feel so much better. Not only will you take notice of the small changes you are doing, you will also be inspired to make other small changes. No matter how small, they all add up. 


Never give up. Stay strong & keep fighting! xoxo


2 comments:

  1. I love how much you have grown! This makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just seeing this comment....Thank you Tamara! I have a great role model! :)

    ReplyDelete